Thursday, November 20, 2008

Of new haircuts and a 7 yr old's plans

A new haircut- R had one, and I saw him today. Still don’t know what to make of it. Didn’t know then, told him so. I don’t think he liked that. But it was the truth, I really don’t know. I don’t think I will know either, that is till it grows back into something more familiar, then I know I will surely love it!


Anyway, that is not what inspired me to write. Nor is it what I am going to write about.


Here’s what did - my niece. She is now 7 and an ever present reminder to me of just how old I am getting! Again, not my point here.

She, K, currently has a great plan for her future. Other than inheriting my room along with my wardrobe, computer and keys to all the draws and cupboards she is currently not allowed to access, K has a great career plan.


She wants to be


An actress.

A paleuntolojist paleontologist

Environmentalist

Witch (the real magical kind)

Pop singer

Teacher

Non- vegetarian cum animal rights activist


Then she came up with a plan:


She will study to be a paleontologist, work as one for a few years to discover something new (anything new) about dinosaurs, after which she will act in a movie and provide the soundtrack. In the movie, she will of course be acting as a paleontologist. After this, she will teach paleontology; all the while of course keeping up her fight for the environment and for animal rights.


And she is very serious, mind you. She started yesterday by doing her math homework very quickly. Math she has been informed is a very important part of paleontology-cal success.


This started me thinking and at lunch today I asked R if he had such a list as a kid. Of course he did - which kid doesn’t.

I had quite a list myself. Some of which pre date my memory. Interestingly, I am told that at age 3 and a half, I wanted to be a “business woman”. Apparently, I stapled a bunch of papers together to create a makeshift cheque book and I carried that and a little briefcase around, writing people cheques- that’s of course what I thought “business women” should do.

Then, for the longest time I wanted to be an architect. I wanted to build a perfectly spherical building. I expanded that slightly to include the term ‘interior decorator’ and drew elaborate plans for the interior of my future house (more like palace), complete with red carpets, spiral staircases, ‘his’ and ‘her’ toilets, etc. I would live in it, of course with my parents and also apparently with 5 husbands (oh that’s a whole different story, I had a very strange idea of who husbands were!).

Around the age of 7 I had learnt to understand cricket and became like most good Indians, a fan. I wanted very badly to play for the Indian team. I dropped the idea when I was told there was absolutely no chance of a woman being allowed to play in the men’s team and also no chance of me growing up into a man. No one watches women’s cricket and feminist as I was, I had to concede, I found it was boring.

I went back to architect which was my longest standing career choice. At around 12, I decided I wanted to be a ‘theoretical physicist’, whatever it meant to me then, and, a year later I was going to work in ‘finance’. Again, I vaguely knew the word finance had something to do with money and/or math. And that was all I needed to know at that time.

Of course the time lines are unclear and the options of being a travel show host on television, an author and a spy made guest appearances. But for most part that’s my list.


My list

Business woman

Architect

Member of the men’s cricket team

Mathematician

Theoretical Physicist

Author

Architect


R’s list

Police inspector

Engineer (which is what he thought engine drivers are called)

Actor

Professional tennis player

Engineer (this time the real kind)

Prime minister



And where have I ended up? (Thankfully) I have not ENDed up anywhere yet and there are still options. I sometimes still find myself saying “when I grow up…” and I hate that I have to check myself. I miss not being able to look into a future full of possibilities with very few restrictions. Where everything was possible, doable, gettable and very much up to us.


In these little lists lie, I am sure, a lot of tiny truths about us. About how we grew up, how we changed, what influenced us and what attracted us. For instance, the fact that nature fascinates K and that I was probably fascinated by the abstract and the intellectual (and probably attracted to money) and the fact that R was probably drawn to action, to making things happen, and if I may add, to a tiny bit of glamour and power.


I am very interested to learn of everyone else’s list. Not, so I can know a bit more about them, but so I can celebrate childhood and the luxuries it affords us that we later rue.


And sometimes, like now, it does more than amuse.

I am inspired by what were once my dreams. The world is my oyster now as it was then, even if my choices have changed, and I intend to not let down 7 year old Medha, or for that matter 7 year old K, who even as I write is furiously finishing her math homework in time to watch her dino program on Discovery.


" Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end

We'd sing and dance for ever and a day

We'd live the life we choose

We'd fight and never lose

Cause we were young and sure to have our way"


- Gene Raskin

8 Comments:

Blogger Mind of an unknown said...

Brilliantly written. I have often wondered about my list. I must be quite a child inside going by your story, 'coz I had a list I mailed a friend only 6 months back and it included - wanting to travel the world on a shoe-string budget, turn super fat, become a first-grade singer doing films with ARR and wanting a fashionable degree from Harvard. A nice & gentle mix of reality and fantasy. But I didn't of course have any of the cool ones like theoretical physicist or the engineer who drives engines :) Or dear little K who wants to be a paleontologist...she might well become one you know, hardly a fantasy in her case :) Oh, but my strongest desire has been to become a writer and THAT is the single greatest fantasy of all time! Great come-back post anyway! And yes, it is almost therapeutic to write..so do indulge more often!

Thu Nov 20, 06:15:00 am GMT-8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely :) :)
By the way, what I can remember of my list was:
have my name in the guiness book of world records
spy
construction worker or a bricklayer
investigative journalist
travel to the north pole

Fri Nov 21, 08:44:00 am GMT-8  
Blogger inconsequential said...

@ Carpe Diem
You can hardly call it a come back post- I think bi annual post might be more appropriate.
Nice list too.. some you still have a decent shot at :)

@ Damini
Thnak u thank u. I love ' brick layer'.. very much in tune with your continuing fascination for doing all the donkey work :P

Sat Nov 22, 01:10:00 am GMT-8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it! And I especially love R's engineer / engine driver dream :)

Here goes mine for what its worth:

1. Air hostess
2. Tractor driver
3. Astronaut
4. Boutrous Boutrous Ghali

Sun Nov 30, 10:15:00 am GMT-8  
Blogger inconsequential said...

hahahah!!
lolol@ B B Ghali
u wanted to be him??
Ok that made me laugh out loud for a gud 2 mins..
:)
I needed that. I am loving the responses this blog is getting!

Sun Nov 30, 10:18:00 am GMT-8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think i wanted the name more than the post he held.. i really wanted to be a boutrous boutrous ghali :) :)

Sun Nov 30, 12:35:00 pm GMT-8  
Blogger Grease Lightning said...

Well done, It's something that we all had, takes a keen eye to write about these lists.. :)
Keep writing, will visit again :)

Mon Dec 15, 08:45:00 am GMT-8  
Blogger Ménk said...

My list was very simple and concise - Pilot. I wanted to do one thing humans can't naturally...fly baby!

But then I grew up and found other ways of flying.

So I have, in a way, completed my childhood dream :D

Mon Jan 18, 01:49:00 am GMT-8  

Post a Comment

<< Home